How to grow an engaged email list with an irresistible lead magnet
Guest Post by tamsin from email parade
If you’re a creative expert, coach or service provider looking to grow your business and increase sales, you’ve probably heard about the importance of building your email list.
And for good reason! Email marketing is still one of the most effective ways to engage, nurture, and qualify leads for your business. It’s like a warm hug that keeps your clients coming back for more!
But here’s the kicker: it can take up to eight touch points (across all of your marketing channels!) before a potential client decides to take the plunge and work with you. Email marketing is the glue that holds it all together, keeping your biz top of mind and building trust over time.
What’s a marketing touch point?
A touch point is any interaction between a business and a person.
It could be as small as liking a social media post, or as significant as attending an event. The more touch points a person has with your business, the more likely they are to remember your brand, your messaging AND engage with your content
Being memorable is key to standing out from your competitors, so kinda important!
Not all touch points are created equal
Email marketing and social media are two of the most common marketing channels used today, however the amount of time people spend engaging with content on these platforms can vary significantly.
For instance, while social media content is often consumed quickly, with an average of just 1.7 seconds* per piece, email marketing can capture a reader’s attention for an average of 9.0 seconds^.
The reason for the difference is that email marketing focuses on a more tailored customer experience in a place that isn’t demanding attention, like social media can be.
Think of email marketing as the exclusive VIP lounge, while social media is the popular, trendy bar where everyone talks loudly. Which one would you rather be a part of to have your message heard?
How do you grow your email list with the right people?
Growing your email list is a crucial part of any successful marketing strategy, but it’s not just about asking people to simply join it. You need to offer them something of value in return for their email address. This is where a lead magnet comes in.
A lead magnet is something you give away for free, and is so valuable that people can’t resist giving you their email address in return.
It’s not about shamelessly promoting your business, but it is the first helpful step towards solving a problem that your ideal customer is facing. Think of it as the first date in a long-term relationship with your customer.
Do you really need a lead magnet?
Growing an email list without a lead magnet is like hosting a party without snacks. Sure, some people might show up out of pure curiosity or the goodness of their hearts, but you’re not giving them a compelling reason to stay and keep coming back.
This can result in a higher rate of unsubscribes or low engagement, ultimately hurting your email marketing efforts.
On the other hand, using a lead magnet provides a clear and compelling reason for someone to sign up for your email list. Attracting people who are genuinely interested in what you have to offer and are more likely to engage with your emails over time.
This provides a higher quality list with more engaged subscribers who are more likely to convert into customers.
How do you create a lead magnet?
So you’re ready to create your own irresistible lead magnet but don’t know where to start? Fear not! Here are three things you must keep in mind before diving into the lead magnet game:
- Will the lead magnet add value to someone’s life? To create a lead magnet that truly resonates with your audience, you need to understand their biggest challenges, desired outcomes, and how you can help them get there. By aligning your lead magnet with their needs, you can add genuine value to their lives and build trust in your brand.
- Does the lead magnet get them excited? Your lead magnet should get your ideal customer excited by offering them something of value, for free. Consider their perspective: would they see it as a nice-to-have or a must-have? Ideally, your lead magnet should fall into the latter category, providing them with a solution to a pressing problem or fulfilling a deep desire.
- Is it a quality lead magnet? Your lead magnet should be of high quality, even though it’s free. Don’t skimp on the value you offer, as it reflects on your brand. Remember, just because it’s a free offer doesn’t mean it should be any less valuable than something your customers would pay for.
What can a lead magnet be?
When it comes to lead magnets, the possibilities are endless. The only requirement is that it should be easily accessible and provide immediate value. While downloadable resources are popular, interactive options like quizzes and challenges can also be effective.
To help you get started, I’ve collated 6 real-life lead magnet examples that have proven to be successful. This free resource provides a range of diverse industries to help you think outside of the box and create a truly unique lead magnet to help you grow your email list.
Don’t flub your lead magnet! Keep these key points in mind:
- Your lead magnet needs to be more valuable than a suitcase full of gold doubloons to your ideal customer. Think specific problems solved and desired outcomes achieved.
- Make sure it’s easily accessible and ready to use right out of the gate.
- You don’t want to look like you phoned in the design. It should represent your brand in a professional, stylish way.
- Don’t be afraid to get your lead magnet out there! Promote it like your business depends on it (because it probably does) through your website, social media channels, and other marketing efforts. High-quality leads will follow.
Meet Tamsin, a seasoned email marketing professional based in Sydney and the brain behind Email Parade, a vibrant email marketing agency that caters to business owners with unique personalities but lacklustre email marketing. With her expertise in strategy and full implementation, Tamsin helps clients automate and create engaging emails that drive conversions and build lasting relationships with their audience. Discover how Tamsin can transform your email marketing game today.
Let people know you mean business by having a *real* email address when they are dealing with your business … even if you don’t have a website yet! Read on to find out how and grab a sneaky discount.
Are you the type of person that has piles of ‘stuff’ all over your desk? Have you got a mountain of filing to be done [how old school of you!] or what feels like millions of e-mails to respond to? How about your desktop? Does it look like a kid has scattered icons...
A talented social media manager can unlock massive potential for your small business. Social media is huge. There’s no doubt that it can make your business bigger. From a business perspective, social media has become a significant contributor to how consumers discover...